Coming up with this list was hard, but satisfying.By Chris Chase – May 15, 2013 at 1:48pm EDT
The series finale of NBC’s The Office airs Thursday night, capping a nine-year run for the groundbreaking sitcom. While the show generally mined laughs from the workplace, relationships and juvenile sexual innuendo, sports played a big role in some of the most memorable scenes. For The Win went back through the seasons and selected the 19 greatest sports moments from The Office.
1. Michael Scott’s free throw routine and Dwight Howard-like shot.
2. The merits of drafting.
3. Dwight’s Mike Lieberthal bobblehead (from his days as a minor league player in Scranton).
4. Rollerskating to Dave Matthews Band, deep tracks only.
5. Quoth the Gretzky.
6. Soccer is the reason Jim plays basketball.
7. Stanley isn’t good at basketball.
8. Ping pong games as B stories.
9. Naming a character “Ryan Howard” after the baseball player “Ryan Howard” (leading to this brilliant moment from an Atlanta Braves game).
10. Dressing up as the Miami Heat on Halloween.
11. Dwight’s “Year in Martial Arts” presentation.
12. Goodbye, Toby.
13. Dwight can “physically dominate” the rest of the office.
14. Carbo loading before a 5K.
15. Deangelo Vickers’ disastrous dunk.
16. Jim plays basketball with Dr. J for some reason.
17. Andy makes his own at-bat music for high school baseball players.
18. Dwight gets a black belt from Tony Soprano’s nephew.
19. Michael Scott attempts to leave on a high note.